Thursday, July 24, 2008

Laurel Hill Knitting Needles


I was sent a pair of 10" Forest Palm Laurel Hill Knitting Needles in US size 7 to review (retail $12). I didn't knit any specific project with these, however I took the opportunity to try out multiple stitches with multiple fibers and sizes. I'm normally a circ & dpn girl, but miss Kellim and I talked about the products they carry (and that I wanted them to carry lol) and she encouraged me to try them out and give some feedback (I'd love to have dpn's that looked and felt like this!)

I tried cotton, wool, & bamboo, all with success. Fibers slid along the needles as they should have because they are polished well without becoming too slippery. Decreases such as k2(3)tog went well despite the fact that I wasn't sure the tips were pointy enough. The only time that became an issue was when I did increases such as kfb. And I'm not entirely sure that it can be blamed on needle tip alone. Since I am used to knitting on circular needles, my knitting on straights just isn't as well honed and my movements are far from fluid. I never felt the needles bowing or bending and they were weighted very well. And the aesthetics can't be ignored. These are beautiful needles that make you proud to pull out in public and wonder who is going to compliment them.

After experiencing their handmade needles, I plan to purchase some crochet hooks (3 different varities available) for myself and for gifts this Christmas. (Great shipping rates, I might add are another plus!)

If you'd like to read more about the Laurel Hill Company or check out their items for sale through Crown Distributing please click on the links and read up. Nothing better than an informed purchase.

No comments: