Monday, March 12, 2007

Up Until Now....

Ember taught me how to knit this last fall, and for once it seems I have stuck with a hobby. I learned to crochet when I was 10, and continued doing it off and on until I learned knitting. I could never pick up crocheting enough to make anything other than scarfs and small blankets, so I'm pretty impressed at how well I've done with knitting and moved beyond those two projects.

The first thing I made was a scarf for Aeslin. Plain ole garter stitch scarf, it's not the most attractive thing, but if she ever gives it up, I'll probably hole it away somewhere as a point of reference. I've made the kids each scarfs and hats and the first nicer thing I made was a scarf for my friend Steff. Unfortunately I don't think I ever took any pictures of it, or else I'd post those for reference as well.


After making Erik a scarf (which he rarely wears), I decided to make him a hat.... and one he would actually wear. I found some Star Wars charts, but nothing he liked, so I had him make me one. Our first attempt was an interesting one. The chart was way too big and I was trying to adjust a hat pattern to go with it. We ended up with a gigantic hat that looked like it belonged on King Kong or some other appropriate sized primate.



Since the logo itself was too big, I ended up cutting the hat short (which really didn't help any) and it just made it look all crumpled at the top. And after giving myself a chart reading break, I had Erik make a new downsized chart which worked out a whole hell of a lot better. I made my own pattern for the hat based on the way he wanted it to fit him, and that made both of us happier. He's actually worn it other than when I took the pictures. In fact he wore it around the house for a few days after I made it.



I'll post the pattern and the chart in a different Entry for anyone who wants to use it. I'm quite sure my husband isn't the only Star Wars geek out there.

I haven't really made anything else that was too substantial. I made my mother in law a scarf to match her new winter coat, and have also made some scarfs out of some random yarn I had purchased.





this one worked out so fun, i just played with the number and stitches and needle sizes until it worked out into something that looked happy and since the yarn is so funky, it didn't really matter how many times I frogged it.

This bag was unfortunately my own pattern and I set myself up for way too much seaming, so the very last handle hasn't been sewn on yet because I'm quite tired of looking at it.


Made with Lion Brand Chunky.... little less than one skein.

Since I'm now on to projects I'm currently working on, or plan to start when I have the money, I'll put those in a different post.

No comments: